Hey there, savvy team builders! We're diving into the exciting world of team building events, where collaboration, camaraderie, and productivity converge. From office-based gatherings to outdoor escapades, online adventures, and offsite team retreats, we've got a whole menu of options to cater to your specific team building goals and team's unique vibe.
Understanding the diversity of team building events
Let's get one thing straight: there's no one-size-fits-all in team building. We embark on these journeys for a million different reasons. Whether you're looking to polish those communication skills, amp up morale, or simply just showing appreciation to your teams, you'll want to pick the event that's your perfect match.
In this article, we'll be your guide through 25 thrilling team building events, but first, what’s the point of team building events?
We'll deep dive into each category of team building events. And give you the lowdown on what to expect and help you pick the perfect activity to achieve your team's goals. Remember, there's a team building event with your name on it!
Outdoor team building events
The great outdoors, away from the office walls. Outdoor team building events are a breath of fresh air for your group. Nature's beauty sparks creativity and tests adaptability, all while creating unforgettable moments. These events are more than just fun; they bring your team closer together. Put the traditional office picnic on the backburner and let’s take a closer look at some more ideas.
1. Outdoor Challenge Course
Alright, folks, let's kick things off with an adrenaline-pumping adventure! The Outdoor Challenge Course is like nature's obstacle course, designed to get those team-building juices flowing.
- You're in the great outdoors, surrounded by trees, fields and fresh air. Now, set up a course with all kinds of challenges like swinging bridges and zip lines.
- Divide your team into squads and watch them navigate this wild playground together.
- Safety first, pals! Make sure everyone's got the right gear and expert guidance.
- Encourage your gang to switch roles – leader, motivator, problem-solver – for a well-rounded experience.
- After the adventure, gather around for a chat to talk about teamwork, leadership, and individual superpowers.
- Check out our field games list to spark more inspiration!
This thrilling activity builds trust, sparks creativity, and turns your team into problem-solving pros!
2. Outdoor/Off-site Retreats
In today's lightning-speed business world, fostering killer team dynamics and ramping up employee engagement is absolutely crucial. Off-site team building retreats are the secret that can help you achieve those goals. And guess what? Surf Office is your logistical wizard in this adventure.
Let’s take a closer look at the benefits:
- Revamp Routine: Shift your team's scenery to ignite fresh ideas and invigorate creativity.
- Collaboration Catalyst: Unleash teamwork as employees tackle challenges outside their comfort zones.
- Bond Beyond Work: Forge personal connections, unravel strengths, and strengthen team ties.
- Solve Like a Pro: Problem-solving activities during retreats fine-tune critical thinking skills.
- Stress Buster: Breaks from the daily grind reduce stress, boosting motivation and happiness.
- Productivity Surge: Energized teams return with renewed vigor, driving up productivity.
- Memorable Moments: Cherished memories create lasting morale and loyalty.
So how can Surf Office help?
- Destination Delight: Surf Office curates prime locations to match your goals, whether beachfront bliss, mountain serenity, or city excitement. With 100’s of locations, you’ll have the pick of the bunch.
- Comfy Quarters: Impeccable accommodations equipped with high-speed internet and collaborative spaces to make sure that your needs are met.
- Flight Fixers: Surf Office eases travel logistics, ensuring a hassle-free journey for all. Breath a sigh of relief and cross it off your list.
Surf Office takes care of the nitty-gritty logistics—location, accommodation, flights—while you concentrate on the team-building magic. Join forces with Surf Office, and let your team embark on an unforgettable journey that not only supercharges teamwork but also leaves an indelible mark.
3. Outdoor Scavenger Hunt
Alright, detectives, it's time for an epic outdoor scavenger hunt! Get ready to bond, be creative, and explore the great unknown.
- Devise a list of cool stuff to find or tricky riddles to solve, all linked to your outdoor surroundings.
- Divide your team into squads, hand out the lists, and let the hunt begin!
- Mix and match teams to spice up the interaction.
- Add some mind-boggling riddles to keep those brains buzzing.
- Celebrate the winners and swap stories about your adventures.
This hunt is all about teamwork, creativity, and discovering hidden talents while exploring the great outdoors!
4. Campfire Storytelling
Gather 'round, everyone! We're taking team bonding to a whole new level with campfire storytelling.
Picture yourself by a cozy campfire, stars above, and marshmallows in hand. Each of your teammates shares a short, themed story – fiction or real – to spark imagination and strengthen the team.
- Choose themes that resonate with your team's goals or values.
- Marshmallows and snacks? Absolutely. It sets the mood.
- Kick off with a designated storyteller to get the creative juices flowing.
This fireside chat enhances communication, sparks creativity, and tightens the bonds within your team.
5. Nature Cleanup and Team-Building
Let's do some good while we build our team! It's time for a nature cleanup event.
Pick a nearby park that could use some TLC. Arm your team with gloves, trash bags, and gear as needed. Together, you'll tackle litter and beautify your natural surroundings.
- Remind your team of the positive impact you're making on the community.
- Delegate tasks based on strengths and preferences.
- Capture the before-and-after moments for that warm, fuzzy feeling of accomplishment.
This eco-friendly activity encourages teamwork, a sense of responsibility, and leaves you with pride for making the world a bit cleaner and greener.
6. Team-building Olympics
Get ready for some friendly competition and outdoor fun – it's the Team-building Olympics!
Imagine a series of outdoor games like tug-of-war, relay races, and frisbee golf. Teams rotate through the stations, racking up points based on their performance.
- Keep it light-hearted; the goal is to have fun, not stress out.
- Reward team spirit and creativity with some fun prizes.
- Let the banter between teams flow – it's all part of the fun!
The Team-building Olympics inject some energy, camaraderie, and a dash of competitiveness into your team, making it an unforgettable outdoor experience.
Indoor/office team building events
Imagine your team, right in your familiar office space, diving into team-building activities. Indoor events offer a controlled setting, perfect for focused teamwork. It's like fine-tuning your teamwork skills in your comfort zone, enhancing collaboration, and boosting growth.
7. Escape Room Challenge
Imagine your office turning into an epic escape room! It's like a puzzle-solving adventure right at your desk.
- Divide your colleagues into teams.
- Each team tackles a different "escape room" in the office.
- Solve puzzles and riddles to unlock the room within a time limit.
Encourage everyone to speak up and share ideas.
Appoint roles like a leader, a note-taker, and a puzzle solver.
Mix up the teams regularly for maximum interaction.
Escape Room Challenges foster trust, communication, and creative thinking. Plus, they're loads of fun!
8. Office Olympics
Who says you can't have your own mini-Olympics right in your workspace? Office Olympics is all about friendly competition and team bonding.
- Create fun office-themed games like chair races or paper airplane contests.
- Form teams and let the games begin!
- Keep score and reward the winning team.
- Stress sportsmanship and fair play.
- Encourage your teammates with cheers and support.
- Shake things up by mixing teams across departments.
Office Olympics boost morale, create camaraderie, and get the competitive spirit going.
9. Office Scavenger Hunt
Turn your workplace into a treasure trove with an Office Scavenger Hunt that'll have everyone searching for clues.
- Compile a list of office-related items or clues.
- Split into teams and give them the list.
- Teams work together to find items or solve clues within a time frame.
- Add a twist with riddles or puzzles.
- Encourage smart task delegation and strategy.
- Reward the first team to complete the hunt.
Scavenger Hunts boost teamwork, creativity, and adaptability while making the office an adventure zone.
10. Three-Legged Race
Let's bring the excitement up a notch and get ready for some good old-fashioned fun with the Three-Legged Race! This classic game is a perfect icebreaker and a hilarious way to bond with your teammates.
- Find a wide-open space like a park or a field to set up your race track.
- Pair up with a teammate, and each of you will stand side by side, with your adjacent legs tied together. Get those shoelaces double-knotted!
- When the race begins, work together with your partner to hop or run towards the finish line. It's not as easy as it sounds!
- Safety first, folks! Ensure the ground is clear of any hazards, and choose a level surface to minimize the risk of tripping.
- Communicate with your teammate. Coordination is key to avoid falling and have a smooth race.
- Encourage laughter and sportsmanship – this is meant to be fun, so don't take it too seriously.
- After the race, gather around to share your experiences and discuss teamwork, communication, and the importance of coordination.
The Three-Legged Race is a lighthearted way to build trust, improve communication, and foster teamwork within your group. Plus, it's a guaranteed source of laughter and memorable moments!
11. Office Cooking Challenge
Get ready for some delicious fun with an Office Cooking Challenge.
- Divide your team into small groups and provide them with ingredients.
- Challenge each team to whip up a dish within a set time frame using only those ingredients.
- Have a panel of judges taste and rate the dishes based on taste and presentation.
- Mix up basic and exotic ingredients for added creativity.
- Ensure each team has access to cooking equipment and utensils.
- Emphasize teamwork, task delegation, and communication.
The Office Cooking Challenge promotes teamwork, innovation, and problem-solving, all while indulging your taste buds!
Online/remote team building events
Even when miles apart, remote teams can still join the team-building fun. Thanks to technology, virtual team-building games bridge the gap. From online escape rooms to virtual scavenger hunts, these activities foster camaraderie and problem-solving, connecting dispersed teams through shared experiences, all from the comfort of their screens. You can also explore our article on virtual events for more ideas.
12. Virtual Escape Room Challenge
Imagine your team being trapped in a virtual room filled with puzzles, riddles, and mysteries. It's like a digital adventure movie night, but with everyone working together to escape. Here's how to do it:
- Find an online escape room platform or get creative and build your own challenges using video conferencing tools.
- Split your employees into teams.
- Give each team a set of brain-teasers and challenges.
- Sit back, relax, and watch them brainstorm solutions and crack codes to break free.
Designate someone as the "game master" to guide teams and drop hints when they hit a roadblock. Breakout rooms in your video conferencing tool can keep discussions private, and setting a time limit keeps the adrenaline flowing.
This activity promotes problem-solving, teamwork, and trust. It's like a high-stakes adventure, and your employees will bond as they work together to escape the virtual room.
13. Online Trivia Night
Who doesn't love a good trivia night? It's like a friendly competition with a dash of learning. Here's how to pull it off:
- Find a trivia host or quizmaster (someone with charisma!).
- Prepare trivia questions on various topics that your team will enjoy.
- Fire up your video conferencing platform and get everyone connected.
- Divide the gang into teams or let them go solo.
- Keep score, declare winners, and maybe hand out some virtual trophies.
Encourage teams to come up with fun names. Throw in a few company-related questions to make it more engaging, and offer small prizes to motivate the competition.
Trivia nights promote teamwork, collaboration, and a sense of belonging. It's a blast to see your colleagues trying to outsmart each other.
14. Virtual Scavenger Hunt
Think of this as a digital treasure hunt that challenges your team's creativity and quick thinking. Here's how to organize it:
- Create a list of items, facts, or clues that your participants must find online.
- Use video conferencing to explain the rules and collect findings.
- Set a time limit for your team members to search and present their discoveries.
Mix in a few company culture-related clues to strengthen the bond. Keep it fun with a mix of easy and tricky items to find.
Virtual scavenger hunts encourage teamwork, quick problem-solving, and online research skills. Plus, it's a blast watching your coworkers compete to be the first to find obscure items online!
15. Online Collaborative Art Project
Unleash your team's creative side with a virtual art project. Here's how to set it up:
- Choose a simple art project that can be done remotely, like a digital drawing or collaborative mural.
- Equip your team with the necessary tools or software.
- Let individuals or teams create their masterpieces.
- Set a deadline and host a virtual art gallery showcase.
Encourage your participants to chat and share ideas while working on their projects. Highlight their artistic achievements during the virtual art gallery presentation.
Collaborative art projects promote creativity and teamwork. It's a unique way for employees to express themselves while working together to create something amazing.
16. Virtual Team Building Olympics
Picture your team going head-to-head in a series of online games and challenges. It's like the Olympics, but with less running and more giggles. Here's how to make it happen:
- Plan a variety of online games or challenges, such as trivia, Pictionary, charades, and more.
- Divide your team into groups.
- Keep score for each challenge and announce an ultimate winner.
Mix up the challenges to cater to different skills and interests. Throw in some company-related themes or inside jokes to make it even more enjoyable.
Virtual Team Building Olympics adds a fun competitive edge to your team's interactions. It brings out the competitive spirit while fostering collaboration and shared success.
Small team building events
Small teams, don't feel left out! Size doesn't limit your team-building options. Even if you're not a big group, tailored activities like brainstorming sessions, close-knit problem-solving, or customized challenges can strengthen your bond and teamwork. The key is to adapt and make it work for your unique team dynamics.
Let’s take a look at some events just for you guys out there!
17. Team Building Board Games
Alright, so you know those fun board games you play during game night with your pals? Well, they're not just for casual entertainment; they're fantastic for team building too! 🎲
- First things first, pick games that are all about teamwork, like "Pandemic" or "Codenames."
- Split your group into smaller teams and dive into the game.
- While you're playing, encourage everyone to chat and come up with clever strategies.
- After the game wraps up, gather around and have a chat about how things went down - talk teamwork and strategy.
- Spice things up by switching games regularly. Keeps the excitement alive!
- Ever heard of SWOT analysis? It's a handy framework for your post-game debrief sessions.
- Go for games that really force you to cooperate and solve problems together.
These board games are like secret weapons for your team's brainpower, communication skills, and teamwork mojo. They're like the gym for your teamwork muscles!
18. Team Building Workshops
Now, if you're looking for something a bit more tailored to your team's needs, team building workshops are the way to go!
- Figure out where your team could use some improvement - maybe it's communication, conflict resolution, leadership, or something else.
- You've got options here: hire a pro facilitator or use someone from your own team with expertise.
- Dive into workshops filled with activities and deep discussions.
- The goal? Make a plan for using these new skills back in the office.
- Keep things lively and hands-on during the workshop. No one wants to snooze through it!
- Real-life workplace situations make the best case studies for learning.
- Get everyone talking openly and honestly - that's where the magic happens!
These workshops are like personal trainers for your team. They're all about fixing your unique trouble spots, so you become a super well-oiled, collaborative machine at work!
New team building events
For new teams, team-building activities are a perfect kickstart. Whether you're integrating new members into an existing team or forming a brand-new department, these activities offer an ideal platform. They fast-track trust and teamwork skills, breaking the ice and fostering connections, setting a strong foundation for collaboration and success.
19. Welcome Breakfast Mix & Mingle
The Welcome Breakfast Mix & Mingle is an informal and engaging way to help new employees feel comfortable and build connections within the team from day one.
- Arrange a breakfast gathering in a relaxed setting, such as a common area or outdoor space.
- Create conversation starter cards with fun questions or prompts.
- Encourage employees to pair up or form small groups and take turns sharing their responses.
- Rotate the groups every 15-20 minutes to ensure everyone interacts with different colleagues.
- Provide a variety of breakfast options to cater to different dietary preferences.
- Assign a seasoned employee as a mentor or buddy to each new hire.
- Use icebreakers that help employees discover common interests or hobbies.
This event promotes camaraderie, encourages open communication, and establishes a welcoming atmosphere, setting the stage for positive working relationships.
20. Mentorship Speed Networking
Mentorship Speed Networking offers new employees the opportunity to connect with experienced colleagues for guidance and insights.
- Pair each new employee with a mentor from a different department or team.
- Set up a series of timed one-on-one sessions (e.g., 5-7 minutes each).
- Provide conversation prompts or topics to discuss.
- Rotate new employees to meet with multiple mentors.
- Encourage mentors to share their career journey and provide valuable advice.
- Ensure mentors are approachable and willing to help newcomers.
- Schedule follow-up sessions to continue mentorship relationships.
This event accelerates new employees' integration into the company, offers valuable insights, and establishes a supportive network of colleagues.
21. Cultural Potluck Lunch
The Cultural Potluck Lunch celebrates diversity and encourages new employees to share their cultural backgrounds through food and conversation.
- Invite new employees to bring a dish representing their cultural heritage.
- Arrange a communal lunch where everyone can sample the dishes.
- Encourage participants to share stories, traditions, or interesting facts about their culture.
- Provide opportunities for cross-cultural dialogue and learning.
- Ensure there are options for various dietary restrictions and preferences.
- Decorate the space with cultural elements to create an immersive atmosphere.
- Use this event as an opportunity to educate and promote diversity and inclusion within the organization.
The Cultural Potluck Lunch promotes cultural awareness, inclusivity, and a sense of belonging among new employees, fostering a more diverse and vibrant workplace.
Corporate team building events
Corporate events don't have to be yawn-inducing affairs. Forget the stereotypes! Modern corporate gatherings are all about combining business with excitement. Think outside the boardroom with engaging team-building activities that boost morale and productivity. From escape rooms to creative workshops, these events inject energy and enthusiasm into the corporate world.
22. Virtual Reality Escape Room Challenge
Embrace cutting-edge technology with a virtual reality (VR) escape room challenge. Teams enter a virtual world where they must work together to solve puzzles, find clues, and escape within a set time limit. VR technology adds an immersive and exciting twist to the traditional escape room experience.
Provide each team with VR headsets and introduce them to the virtual escape room scenario. Instruct them to work together to find clues, solve puzzles, and escape within a specified time frame.
- Encourage clear communication, as team members must describe what they see and discover in the virtual world.
- Appoint a leader to help coordinate efforts and delegate tasks effectively.
- Use VR headsets with comfortable straps to ensure everyone's comfort during the activity.
- Promotes teamwork and communication in a high-tech, immersive environment.
- Encourages creative problem-solving and critical thinking.
- Builds camaraderie and excitement among team members.
23. Innovation Hackathon
Encourage creativity and innovation by hosting an internal hackathon. Teams are given a specific challenge or problem related to the company's goals and are tasked with coming up with innovative solutions within a set timeframe.
Present teams with a specific challenge or problem statement related to the company's objectives. Allow them a set amount of time to brainstorm, create prototypes, and present their innovative solutions.
- Foster an open and inclusive environment for idea generation.
- Encourage cross-functional collaboration to leverage diverse skills and perspectives.
- Provide access to resources, technology, or mentors as needed.
- Cultivates a culture of innovation and problem-solving within the organization.
- Sparks creativity and encourages employees to think outside the box.
- Allows teams to work on real, actionable solutions for the company.
24. Mystery Adventure Dinner
Combine team building with a gourmet dining experience in a "Mystery Adventure Dinner." Teams work together to unravel a mystery or complete a mission during a multi-course meal. Clues and challenges are integrated into the dining experience.
Combine a fine dining experience with a mystery adventure. Teams receive clues and challenges throughout the meal, requiring them to work together to solve the mystery.
- Encourage teams to interact with other diners and gather information to solve the mystery.
- Provide subtle clues and challenges that align with the dining experience.
- Ensure that the mystery storyline is engaging and entertaining.
- Enhances teamwork and communication in a relaxed, social setting.
- Creates a memorable and enjoyable experience for team members.
- Encourages creativity and problem-solving in a unique context.
25. Survival Skills Expedition
Send teams on a wilderness survival skills expedition led by trained outdoor experts. Participants learn essential survival skills such as building shelters, starting fires, and foraging for food while navigating through a natural environment. It’s just like the ‘Amazing Race’!
Send teams on a wilderness survival skills expedition with trained guides. Instruct them to learn and practice essential survival techniques while navigating through the wilderness.
- Emphasize safety precautions and ensure participants are adequately prepared for outdoor conditions.
- Assign roles within the team, such as a leader, navigator, and first-aid responder.
- Encourage teamwork through tasks like building shelters or starting fires.
- Develops teamwork, leadership, and adaptability in challenging outdoor conditions.
- Promotes self-reliance and problem-solving skills.
- Fosters a sense of accomplishment and resilience among team members.
As we wrap up our exploration of the diverse world of team-building events, remember that these activities are more than just opportunities for fun and games. They're powerful tools for fostering collaboration, enhancing communication, and building trust within your team.
Whether you're organizing events for large team gatherings or intimate small teams, these activities can be tailored to meet your specific goals. So, don't settle for the mundane. Embrace the creativity, innovation, and excitement that team-building events can bring to your organization.
Now, armed with knowledge and inspiration, go out there and create memorable experiences that will unite and empower your team. Keep the spirit of camaraderie alive, and watch your team flourish. Here's to the success and unity of your team-building endeavors!